This page contains some information that may be of use to you if you’re struggling with your finances or have health or lifestyle concerns.

Speak with us
If you’re experiencing financial difficulties please let us know. Our team have a number of options available to help you manage your situation. We can discuss your options with you and give you all the information you need so you can make an informed decision.

Contact options
You can communicate with us via phone, email or SMS, depending on what you find most comfortable. If you’d prefer to let someone else speak on your behalf, you can nominate a third party to have authority on your account and we can discuss the situation with them instead.

Cost of living crisis
Millions of people across the UK are being impacted by the current cost of living crisis. If you find that you’re struggling to make ends meet, Help for Households’ website provides a variety of information and support options to help you deal with the rising cost of living. The government’s Money Helper website also provides free and impartial guidance on benefits, pensions, everyday money and more.

Specialist support
Concerns such as mental or physical health, financial issues or living arrangements can have a severe impact on life and it’s often hard to know where to turn. That’s why we have our own in-house support team who are here to help and support you through what can be a very difficult time.

If you find you’re in need of some extra support, you can contact this team directly on 01603 369 222 or email

If you feel you or someone you know is in immediate danger, please call 999 without delay. If you can’t talk, dial 999 and press 55 when prompted to indicate you need help, but can’t speak.

Further help and advice

Financial support

Stepchange is a leading debt-support charity in the UK who have been offering free debt advice and support for over 25 years. You can contact them via their website or call them on 0800 138 1111.

Citizens Advice offers similar services for people who are struggling with financial, legal or consumer problems. You can chat with a debt advisor on their website, call their advice line, or drop in during selected hours at your local office.

Unemployment and long-term sickness support

The government offers financial support for all kinds of situations – use their Benefits Calculator to work out what you could be entitled to. You can also visit the EntitledTo website which offers more information on what you could be eligible to claim.

If you’re employed by a business and are off long-term sick, you should be entitled to Statutory Sick Pay for up to 28 weeks. If you’re unable to return to work after this time or if you’re self-employed you may be able to apply for Employment Support Allowance (ESA)

Mental health support

1 in 4 of us will struggle with mental health throughout our lives. This can affect all parts of our day-to-day life; from work, family, physical health as well as financial issues. If you feel you or someone you know could benefit from some mental health support, you can visit Mind the mental health charity or call their helpline on 0300 123 3393. You can also contact the Samaritans by calling their free 24/7 helpline on 116 123.

Addiction support

Action on Addiction offers support for those with issues relating to alcohol, drugs, food, gambling or other additions. You can call their helpline on 0300 330 0659 or visit their website for more information.
For support for gambling addiction, you either call the National Gambling Helpline on 0808 8020 133 or visit GamCare or BeGambleAware.You can find further information about support for other issues on the AdFam website.

Domestic and financial abuse support

There are several charities within the UK that offer support for all types of domestic abuse, including financial abuse.

England – Refuge and Women’s Aid England offer support for women & children living in England
Freephone 24-hour Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 2000 247

Northern Ireland – Women’s Aid Northern Ireland to find and contact your local women’s aid.
Freephone 24-hour Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 802 1414

Wales – Welsh Women’s Aid offers help and advice, in both English and Welsh.
Freephone 24-hour Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 80 10 800

Scotland – Scottish Women’s Aid or Scottish domestic abuse and forced marriage helpline
Freephone 24-hour Domestic Violence Helpline: 0800 027 1234

Support for men – Men’s Advice Line
Freephone Helpline: 0808 801 0327

LGBTQ+ support – Galop
Freephone Helpline: 0800 999 5428

Regulator & Ombudsman

Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) – The FCA regulate financial services providers to ensure they are operating in an honest, fair and effective way. By making sure the market works well, they are also ensuring customers are treated fairly. As the regulatory body for the UK’s consumer credit sector, although not acting directly as a consumer champion in the same way as StepChange or Citizens Advice, one of the FCA’s key statutory objectives is to protect consumers from unfair, misleading, and unscrupulous practices.

Financial Ombudsman Service – If you have made a complaint to any financial services company and have been unable to resolve the dispute, or are dissatisfied with the outcome, you can contact the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) to investigate. The FOS is an impartial dispute resolution service for customers who are not satisfied with the response to a complaint they have received from a company that provides financial services. Upon referring a complaint to FOS, they will investigate your dispute carefully and make a decision in either your favour or in that of the firm you are complaining against.